Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Worst Part About My Job

Andrew died last night.


He's the handsome tall dog to the right.

Andrew was one of my favorite dogs. I walked him 5 days a week for probably close to 5 years now. He was a rescue, with some health & behavioral issues. He did not like other dogs at all when I first started walking him, but we worked through it and he was a great dog, got along with every dog I introduced him to over the years. The mailman was his only enemy.

His health problems did not go away as easily as his behavior issues did. He had addisons diesease and a problem where the muscles in his face were just deteriorating. I don't understand it untirely, but from what I was told eventually he wouldn't be able to eat. That's not what caused his death though, over the past few months Andrew had a several times where he would vomit and then not want to eat, sometimes he would stay in his crate and he just shivered/shook. I'm assuming he was in pain. His owner, Alice took him to the vet several times, but usually he was back to his perky, bouncy self by the time he saw the vet, so nothing was ever figured out.

Last night, he had another one of those spells. Vomitting, shaking, hiding. Alice took him to the emergency vet and he immediately needed CPR, he was dying as they got there. Turned out he was bleeding internally and had tumors through out his internal organs. Sorry, I don't have all the details or fully understand it all. I'm just sad I won't be seeeing this dog anymore.

3 comments:

Margie said...

I'm so sorry you lost a friend.

westoverpugs said...

He's only the 2nd dog to pass away in the 7 or so years I've been doing this. Cinamon was the first, and it was tough with her, but she was 16 and I knew it was coming for a while.

It really is hard, especially when it's one of the dogs you're especially attached to. Alice plans to get another dog very soon. She's a widow, her husband died suddenly at 51 of a heart attack, both kids are grown up, one's in college the other is done with school and on his own. I talked to her today and she said she didn't even want to go home...just too lonely : (

The Pug Boys said...

Death is never easy, human or pet. When my father and brother died 3 years apart, I encouraged my mom to get a dog. Preferably two, so they could be buddies and keep each other company when she went shopping or did errands. My mom did not work outside the home. The breed she picked was pugs after seeing Breed All About It on animal planet. These pugs were her therapy. They brought immeasurable joy in her life. In August one of the pugs, Bailey, died of a liver shunt and lymphosarcoma. Now we have Sidney who has helped us all to heal the loss of Bailey. Our pets are a gift from God. It's one of the best gifts I've ever received in my life. I'm glad that Alice plans to get another dog soon. It will help her with grieving the loss of her beloved Cinamon.