Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Silvia's cik & cap turning video

I finally went ahead and bought Silvia Trkman's first training video on cik and cap turns. It's a bit pricey, but it's really well made, thorough and easy to follow. I love watching her work with her dogs. Her website says it can take a few hours to download, but it only took about 15 minutes.

I found her method to be similar, (but different) to Linda Mecklenburg's method for teaching jumping. Both teach collection and turning first, both place the reward in position to encourage the dog to turn over the jump, but there are some key differences. I do wonder if Silvia's method would encourage more speed. I don't think the two really conflict in any way. This is a verbal based skill, but as she says in her video her handling is supporting it 99% of the time, it's simply more information.

I'm going to work through her method with both Abby and Indy over the next couple of months. Should be fun and it certainly can't hurt.

No comments: